Thursday, May 6, 2010

Why do I owe this woman so much?

Who is she?
Born in 1879 in Manchester UK.
Well she married a certain Mr Richard Pankhurst.
This woman is Emmaline Panhurst, the founder of the womans franchise league.
She's a woman, who at the time women were supposed to manage their homes and leave business and politics to the men, chose to stand up and be counted.
She fought to get married woman the right to vote in local elections.
Then in 1903, she formed militant Women's Social and Political Union (WSPU) whose members were frst to be given the name 'suffragettes'. She encouraged her own daughters Christabel and Sylvia to be part of the cause too. Arson, window smashing,demonstrations and hunger strikes were all means used by them. They were determind to get themselves noticed.
Emmaline was arrested on numerous occassions and when she went on hunger strike, she was force fed with violent struggles. Eventually the prisons would let the hunger women go (but only long enough to regain their strength) before they were rearrested again.
In 1918, the Representation of the People Act gave voting rights to women over 30. Emmeline died on 14 June 1928, shortly after women were granted equal voting rights with men (at 21).
Today I placed my cross on a voting paper. Today I thank the women who stood up and gave me the vote I so value.
Please don't waste your vote, it's been a hard fight to get you it!!

2 comments:

Elissa - said...

I think as women we all owe this woman a debt of gratitude. I make sure that both my girls know about inspirational women like Emmaline and Rosa Parks. Great post!

Elissa - said...

Great post! I make sure that my girls know about inspirational women like Emmaline & Rosa Parks and what they achieved. We owe all these women a debt of gratitude.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...