Saturday, October 24, 2009

Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone) ~ Chris Tomlin

I love this updated version of John Newton great hymn.
Newton was a ship's captain on a slave trading ship. One night a huge storm blew up. As Newton left the ships deck, a huge wave swept overboard the sailor who had taken his place.
This was the starting point to Newton's faith.
After this turning point in his life he insisted that his crew's prayed and that all those in his care were treated humanely although it was another forty years before he openly challanged the slave trade.
I love Chris Tomlins gentle additions that speak so beautifully :
My Chains are gone
I've been set free,
my God my savoiur
has ransommed me
And like a flood, his mercy reigns
unending love
amazing grace

The earth shall soon disolve like snow
the sun forbear to shine
but God who called me here below
Will be forever mine

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...